"Wishing you the best of luck with the Movie Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" Martin Scorsese 2009

French Posters

• You cannot reply to this topic
24 replies to this topic

#1 mafiaman667

mafiaman667

Quad

• MPF Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 6:46 PM

Anyone here collect large French posters? Any info about them? Do you collect newer or older ones? Are even newer large french posters folded okay to collect? Are pin holes acceptable?

#2 psmith

psmith

Insert

• MPF Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 9:00 PM

Anyone here collect large French posters? Any info about them? Do you collect newer or older ones? Are even newer large french posters folded okay to collect? Are pin holes acceptable?

I have only a few French posters, but I'd love to collect more. 2 of them are the large ones you are asking about: 120 cm x 160 cm (grande affiche). See pics below.

The older one (1969) is folded with some small holes. The newer one (2002) is rolled in excellent condition. I don't mind holes on the older one because of the great image of an obscure film. I probably wouldn't accept a poster with defects for a recent film (as I would just keep looking for a better quality one). But it depends on the item in question, it's cost/rarity and how much you like/want it.

I have an additional question to the seasoned collectors of French posters on this forum. I remember reading a long time ago of an annual film poster convention/market held every January just outside Paris (Argenteuil?) but cannot remember the details or find them via Google. Does anyone have any info on this event?

-psmith

Attached File  Les_Orgies_Du_Dr._Orloff.jpg   125.11KB   10 downloads Attached File  Secretary.jpg   90.67KB   11 downloads

#3 Saw

Saw

One Sheet

• MPF Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:03 PM

Your timing of this question couldn't be much better Mafia. I just ordered my first couple of grandes the other day. As to the question of the acceptability of folds, from what I can gather, most of what you're going to find is going to be folded with these kind of posters. Don't get me wrong. In surfing the internet I see rolled examples of random grandes, but for the most part they seem be folded.

To add to your line of questioning, if you don't mind, I was wondering if/how anyone has displayed any grande. The only thing that I could come up with, besides framing or just straight up sticky tackying the thing to the wall were those poster hangers. Something like this. If you were to get two 24'' ones it would be about as close as you could get to the 47'' span of those bad boys. But I have never used anything hanger like these so I don't know if they would cause any crimping lines on the poster, as I would imagine that the fit might have to be fairly tight to hold it. If anyone has any input as to how these hangers affect a poster, I would really appreciate it, as besides framing, this is the only economical way to display one of them without potentially doing too much harm to one that I can come up with.
Always looking for Saw material. Always feel free to message me if you run across anything or have something to sell. Applies to posters and anything else!

#4 mafiaman667

mafiaman667

Quad

• MPF Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 1:03 AM

Ya, post as much info as you can.
For framing I still don't know either, I am sure you can still get frames, but they would be costly.
As for those hangers you have mentioned, I have tried some with reprints, and am not a big fan at all with them. I had the ones that kind of clipped the ends, very similar to those, and you have to be extremely careful with them, it'll clip/rip the ends of the poster if not done properly. I don't know how similar those ones are. Also it leaves the poster out, nothing protecting the poster.
I was looking at one poster in the 90s, $180 folded and no pin holes, the other one was folded $60 bucks but had pin holes. What do you think?

#5 Saw

Saw

One Sheet

• MPF Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 1:33 AM

Ya, post as much info as you can.
For framing I still don't know either, I am sure you can still get frames, but they would be costly.
As for those hangers you have mentioned, I have tried some with reprints, and am not a big fan at all with them. I had the ones that kind of clipped the ends, very similar to those, and you have to be extremely careful with them, it'll clip/rip the ends of the poster if not done properly. I don't know how similar those ones are. Also it leaves the poster out, nothing protecting the poster.
I was looking at one poster in the 90s, $180 folded and no pin holes, the other one was folded $60 bucks but had pin holes. What do you think?

Thanks for the feedback about the hangers. I was looking over at Sue's website and she had this to say about framing something this large. Kinda interesting. Didn't exactly make me want to rush out and buy a frame for one though! Especially if I was going to spend a small fortune to hang something that cost me under $100. If I still end up giving them a try, I'll post the results later on. If I was going to do it, I would probably by a relatively cheap grande to try it on. This way I could not worry so much about it being ruined if the worst were to happen. I actually already have a place in mind where I would hang it that would be sort of out of the way, so no one would run into it/touch it.

As for the $180 vs the $60, if the pin holes don't bother you I'd save myself the $120. The thing is so freaking big, if you were to ever somehow display it, you probably wouldn't even notice them. If you are perfectionist, as many of us are on this forum, and you think that the pinholes are going to bug the living crap outta you, then don't get the $60 one. There's nothing worse than being disappointed with a purchase from the get-go. And of course a third option is to wait it out and see what comes up. I don't know how uncommon the poster you are looking at is, but if you don't think that you'll be happy with a poster with pinholes or an expensive poster, then wait it out.
Always looking for Saw material. Always feel free to message me if you run across anything or have something to sell. Applies to posters and anything else!

#6 mafiaman667

mafiaman667

Quad

• MPF Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 1:45 AM

Thanks for the reply.
Ya it won't really bother me that much since the poster is so big like you said. But it comes down to what if I have to sell it in the future, would people care about the pin holes or no?

Edited by mafiaman667, 01 March 2009 - 1:45 AM.

#7 Saw

Saw

One Sheet

• MPF Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 4:29 AM

But it comes down to what if I have to sell it in the future, would people care about the pin holes or no?

Think of it this way. If there is at least one person in the world that doesn't care (that being you), don't you think that there is at least one other that wouldn't if you ever had to try and sell it again?
Another way to look at it is grading wise. How many pin holes does it have? Assuming that it has 4 pinholes, by most scales this would still net you a poster that is a C9 by a large number of collector's standards - making it still highly collectible. Of course I don't know the condition the rest of the poster is in, but if the pinholes are the only "defect" (I use the term loosely), I would think that you would be ok.

#8 mafiaman667

mafiaman667

Quad

• MPF Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:27 PM

Think of it this way. If there is at least one person in the world that doesn't care (that being you), don't you think that there is at least one other that wouldn't if you ever had to try and sell it again?
Another way to look at it is grading wise. How many pin holes does it have? Assuming that it has 4 pinholes, by most scales this would still net you a poster that is a C9 by a large number of collector's standards - making it still highly collectible. Of course I don't know the condition the rest of the poster is in, but if the pinholes are the only "defect" (I use the term loosely), I would think that you would be ok.

Thats a good way to look at it, thanks. I will probably purchase it.
He said its A-. the only defect were the pinholes.

Edited by mafiaman667, 01 March 2009 - 12:39 PM.

#9 Guest_T_*

Guest_T_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:17 PM

A 90s French poster for $180??? Did I read this right? I can't think of one title worth that much.

T.

#10 Guest_T_*

Guest_T_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2009 - 2:07 AM

I would strongly discourage you from buying a rolled large French poster (47x63in), unless it is the slightly larger bus stops (does not exist for the title mentioned). French posters are made of very thin paper that is not supposed to be rolled. Because of its size, it damages itself quickly if rolled. This is why French poster are still folded to this day. Of course, with Ebay and the prospect of selling them for more money, some of them have made it rolled out of the printers. But like I said, they are very hard to handle and store. If you offered me a rolled poster and the same one folded, I'd chose the folded one immediately, unless of course you intend to linenback and frame it on your wall.

Regarding pin holes, I'd not buy a recent poster with pin holes, French or US. Anything prior to 1975, I accept pin holes. For French posters, I'll probably make an exception for a few rare 80s titles, mainly because the size makes the pin holes invisible.

If I'm right about the poster you want (my 2nd PM), I'll send you a private link where you can get it for 35 euros (about $42) folded and without pin holes.

T.

Edited by T, 02 March 2009 - 2:08 AM.

4 movie poster forum members are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Movie Poster Forum Sponsors, Movie Posters for sale

Links - Movie Poster Forum Dealers, Movie Poster Sellers, Movie Posters Reference Links
Movie Poster Forum Dealers, Movie Poster Sellers, Movie Posters Reference website Links: If you would like a free reciprocal link below, please email admin@movieposterforum.com
If you would like to Advertise on The Movie Poster Forum, please click here

Movie Poster Dealers, Movie Poster Sellers and Movie Posters Reference Websites

AmovieMasterpiece | Bags Unlimited | Big Town Film Posters | Bloody Rare Posters | Bond Posters | CineMasterpieces
CK MacLeod Collectibles | Collectors Club of Great Britain | Conway's Vintage Treasures | eMoviePoster.com | europosterman.com
Egyptian Movie Posters | Filmcutts.com | Filmposter.net | Filmposters.com | Film Magazin | Flickfeast | FreeFilmPosters.com
Heritage Vintage Movie Posters | ilovefilms | IMP Awards | Jaime Mendez Restoration & Conservation | Japanese Movie Poster Company
John Reid Vintage Movie Memorabilia | kinoart.net | Learn About Movie Posters | MEM | Memorabilia Mine | MovieArt.net
MovieArt GmbH | Montana Movie Posters | MotionPictureArt | Movie Collector's World | Movie Forum | Movie Forum Blog
Movie Forum YouTube | MoviePoster.com | MoviePosters.com | MoviePosterBid.com | Movie Poster Collector | Moviepostersdirect.co.uk
Moviepostersetc.com | Movie Poster Forum Blog | Movie Poster Forum Facebook | Movie Poster Forum Twitter | Movie Poster Collecting Blog
Movie Poster Service | Movie Poster Shop | Movie Poster Studio | Original Cinema Posters | The Nostalgia Factory | Picturetrader | Passini.com
Poster Appraisal.Com | Poster Conservation | Postericons.com | Posteropolis | Poster Science | Quadbod | Reel Movie Posters | Rue des Collectionneurs
Spotlight Displays | StarWarsMoviePoster.com | The Collectors Lot | things-and-other-stuff.com | Under The Floorboards
US Filmposters | Vintage Movie Art | Vintage Movie Posters | 1art1 Film Posters

Movie Posters Collectors, Movie Posters Fansite Links

Suitable4Framing | Wrong Side Of The River - A Rumble Fish Fan Site

Movie Poster Frames
Need a Movie Poster Frame? Spotlight Displays Movie Poster Frames
has the right Movie Poster Frame for you.

Movie Poster Display Cases

Movie Poster Guides and Resources

Free Movie Poster Price Guide Online by Jon Warren - IGuide™ is proud to host the online version of the Movie Poster Price Guide™.
The price guide is maintained by Jon R. Warren, whose Movie Poster Price Guide books have been helping movie poster collectors since 1985.
The searchable database consists of tens of thousands of detailed reports on movie posters for most movies distributed in the United States since 1900.
Each report includes current market values in ten different grades, as well as a section for "Real Market Data", actual prices fetched at auction.

Other Memorabilia and Movie Posters Links
Click Here for Star Wars Movie Prop Replicas, Statues, Collectible Pins and More! StarWarsShop.com - More Product. More Exclusives.
original movie posters | original film posters | uk quad posters | us one sheets

Original Movie Posters: Recommended Books
Amazon.co.uk: Now Playing: Original Movie Posters from the Silent Era to the 1940s

Fundraising, Charity & Memorials
British Heart Foundation - In memory of Oliver Neal

If you would like a charity link or a memorial page for a loved one here, free of charge, please let me know.

Movie Poster Forum Development, Design and Web Design by Shoot Design | Maintenance products