"Wishing you the best of luck with the Movie Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" Martin Scorsese 2009

Polyethylene Poster Sleeves Experience

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 Cj450r

Cj450r

Quad

• MPF Moderator
  • 421 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 3:33 PM

Polyethylene Poster Sleeves from Bags Unlimited

I recently purchased a slew of Polyethylene Poster sleeves from Bags unlimited. I purchased 200 - 4 mil One Sheet sleeves, 50 - 4 mil British Quad sleeves, 50 Japanese B2 - 3 mil sleeves and 10 - 3 mil 3 sheet poster sleeves. I ordered a few other things as well and the total came to around $560.00. However I contacted them and because my order met whole sale pricing requirements it was dropped to around $460.00 and that?s shipping included. To get the price break you need to be $500.00 or over and contact them by telephone or email to place your order.

One sheet 4 mil Polyethylene sleeves & British Quad 4 mil Polyethylene sleeves: the clarity is slightly milky. They are not crystal clear. 4 mil is plenty thick enough to protect your posters. I know that they sell a 1.5 mil Polypropylene bag that is crystal clear. I would think that the1.5 mil is slightly too thin based on how the 3 mils feel. So I decided at the time of order to go as thick as possible and sacrifice the clarity. Really, they are only in the sleeves to be protected and stored, I do not intend to display them in the sleeves. It made more sense to sacrifice clarity over thickness. I found that with my folded one sheets that have been stored folded work out well with these sleeves. You are able to slide them in nicely and they seem to flatten out very well. Same goes with the posters that have been loosely rolled. Having that extra weight on top the poster helps with the flattening process. I will however recommend any posters you have that have been rolled in a 2 ?? roll and stored that way for a long period of time to flatten them outside of the sleeves before trying to slide them in. What happens is the memory in the paper wants to recall that 2 ? inch roll and it is hell trying to get it into the sleeve. You are more likely to damage your poster if it is not flattened to a certain degree beforehand. Storing my posters in these sleeves went along the lines of putting my more valued posters in the sleeves by themselves as singles. For the posters I do not value as much I went ahead and doubled them up. I think realistically you could put as many as 4 in each bag and still make out fine but I opted for 2. Even though I don?t value them as much they still need to be protected. I did not put any backings in any of them since they are going to be stored flat in a flat file cabinet. The problem is that I noticed with the sleeves it cuts down the space in the drawers by at least 60% when storing them in a flat file cabinet. The nice thing is, when I run out of room in this cabinet I can go buy another cabinet or just store them flat on a shelf.

Japanese B2 - 3mil Polyethylene sleeves: These are very similar as the 4 mils. Obviously they are slightly thinner but still thick enough to offer the protection that is needed. The clarity is the same. The amount of space inside the bag is just enough to where the poster slides in easily.

Three sheet 3 mil Polyethylene Sleeves: For some reason with these they seem much thinner than the B2 3 mils. Maybe it is because the amount of space in between the edges that has something to do with it. The clarity is the same - milky. I bought these to store my bus shelters in and my newest edition - the Apocalypse Now B0. Since they are not being stored flat, I can slide them in the sleeve and roll them and place them in four inch tubes with no problems at all. I want to believe that with these sleeves it helps with the acid issues that may arise with posters being stored inside cardboard tubes with no protection for a long period of time.

They say with the polyethylene sleeves that "they are used worldwide in museums, libraries and schools for its archival, acid-free & "breathing" properties. With the Polypropylene sleeves they are bio-oriented (BOPP) which means that it is as clear as glass and will not ripple, dimple or pucker over time as some polypropylene materials do. Both our polyethylene and polypropylene have passed the Photo Activity Test (P.A.T.) which certifies that they are safe for long-term storage."

One sheet sleeve size: 27 5/8? x 43?
British Quad sleeve size: 30 ?? x 42?
Japanese B2 sleeve size: 20 1/2? x 31?
Three sheet sleeve size: 41 5/8? x 84?

In a nutshell, I am happy with this purchase. I think it offers great protection for my posters and the pricing is not all that bad (IMO). With regards to thickness, I do not think I would want to go below 3 mil. I would think that the 2 mils would be slightly to thin especially with the one sheet size. Seeing how thin the 3 mil felt with the three sheet compared to the 3 mil with the Jap B2. I would much rather spend a few dollars more and go with the thicker sleeves.

Cj

#2 vintagemovieart

vintagemovieart

One Sheet

• MPF Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 5:16 PM

Hi Cj,

Great review! Sound like you got everything under control, great!

But, not sure I agree with this statement,

<<<< They say with the polyethylene sleeves that "they are used worldwide in museums, libraries and schools for its archival, acid-free & "breathing" properties. >>>>

I can see schools possible use Poly bags, but museums and libraries archiving rare documents, posters and books, not so.

There is a standard out there and it would be Mylar, which is panacea for archival storage.

Expensive though.

Best,
dario.

#3 Guest_carson_cochren_*

Guest_carson_cochren_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 6:01 PM

Awesom write up. Thanks for the summation on this bag buy. Very helpful insight.

I've always found irony in that many collectors spend $500+ on single posters but when it comes time to properly store and preserve we often skimp on sleeves or just drop it in the flat file and hope for the best. If you're dealing with newer material your at less risk but for a one time cost of $450 or so it's well worth it to be able to protect that number or posters - just in case.

I took Dale Dilts advice a ways back and I give every poster a quick inspection before adding to flat file. If I see any foxing, odd coloration or oils of any kind it gets an individual 3mil poly bag. And my few 1950s folded pieces are in mylar. I'd like to rock mylar across the board but it's too costly.

#4 Cj450r

Cj450r

Quad

• MPF Moderator
  • 421 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:56 AM

Thanks for the kind words Carson and Dario.

Also Dario, thanks for clarifying the part about conservation for museums and such. I was unsure - that is why I put in quotes around that statement which was obtained directly from Bagsunlimited's website.

I agree...Mylar is the way to go but I could not afford that many Mylar sleeves. They are expensive. I wish I could :)

CJ

#5 vintagemovieart

vintagemovieart

One Sheet

• MPF Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 2:58 AM

No problems, all good.

What you can do, is to keep a few Mylar bags a side for your rare and expensive posters and rest in Poly.

As far as BU they are in business to sell, so expect that ALL their products are out of this world LOL)) get the drift my friend?

Best,
dario.

#6 Cj450r

Cj450r

Quad

• MPF Moderator
  • 421 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:53 AM

Now I just found this on the net and I am a little concerned.

http://cool-palimpse.../2002/0419.html

Any thoughts??

Cj

#7 Guest_carson_cochren_*

Guest_carson_cochren_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2009 - 7:44 PM

Highly unlikely to be a problem. I'd call Bags Unlimited ask if the bags you have include the BHT additive described in the report. Hopefully they can speak intelligently on the subject and give you a straight answer. Let us know what they say.

Edited by carson_cochren, 19 March 2009 - 7:46 PM.

#8 Cj450r

Cj450r

Quad

• MPF Moderator
  • 421 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 6:02 PM

Highly unlikely to be a problem. I'd call Bags Unlimited ask if the bags you have include the BHT additive described in the report. Hopefully they can speak intelligently on the subject and give you a straight answer. Let us know what they say.

I spoke to a young lady and questioned her if they utilize the additive BHT. Initially she stated that it their products are acid free. I stated that I understood that they were acid free and asked her a second time if they used the additive BHT. She put me hold for approximately 30 seconds and came back and said "we use virgin polyethylene". Then I said to her so you do not use the additive BHT in the bags and she replied no we don't. It's was not very convincing so I did a little research and found that virgin polyethylene contains no BHT.

That said they should be safe from turning yellow.

Cj

Edited by Cj450r, 20 March 2009 - 6:11 PM.

#9 Guest_carson_cochren_*

Guest_carson_cochren_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2009 - 6:57 PM

Thanks for calling. I was curious myself.

Sweet. Sounds like, as expected, she didn't know much (which is perfectly understandable) but she was able to confirm the bags are in fact virgin polyethylene and that's what i was hoping to hear. So long BHT! Smart to double check.

Edited by carson_cochren, 20 March 2009 - 7:01 PM.

#10 GeoffreyPaul

GeoffreyPaul

Quad

• MPF Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:14 PM

I just got a batch of Bagsunlimited.com's mylar sheets in size 31 x43 and I am alright on them.

They are doing the job that I wanted, but I feel, that I really should have bought some backings for inside of them as it was a chore to get the rolled posters into the sleeves (And then to keep them flat afterward).

Posted Image

Two rolled one-sheets. The Star Wars one was a pain, as it was very tightly rolled. I basically had to wrestle it to get it inside (And to keep it from rolling up inside of the sleeve). I about cried (Not really) as it is one of my favorite posters.

Posted Image

This one has the lenticular oval in the middle.

Posted Image

This one has a snipe over the original title and the sleeve is working to keep the snipe from coming up any more so than it already was.

Posted Image

This one is of a thicker card-stock and is really not wanting to stay flat.

Now, all of this not staying flat stuff would be kind of moot if I had a storage cabinet. But since I don't, and I am blanketing them on the floor for the time being, it is kind of a pain for me. Thus, I feel that some thin foam board would really do the trick for what I want to do. And I say all of this in wanting to store my unbacked posters long term.

0 movie poster forum members are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Movie Poster Forum Sponsors, Movie Posters for sale

Links - Movie Poster Forum Dealers, Movie Poster Sellers, Movie Posters Reference Links
Movie Poster Forum Dealers, Movie Poster Sellers, Movie Posters Reference website Links: If you would like a free reciprocal link below, please email admin@movieposterforum.com
If you would like to Advertise on The Movie Poster Forum, please click here

Movie Poster Dealers, Movie Poster Sellers and Movie Posters Reference Websites

AmovieMasterpiece | Bags Unlimited | Big Town Film Posters | Bloody Rare Posters | Bond Posters | CineMasterpieces
CK MacLeod Collectibles | Collectors Club of Great Britain | Conway's Vintage Treasures | eMoviePoster.com | europosterman.com
Egyptian Movie Posters | Filmcutts.com | Filmposter.net | Filmposters.com | Film Magazin | Flickfeast | FreeFilmPosters.com
Heritage Vintage Movie Posters | ilovefilms | IMP Awards | Jaime Mendez Restoration & Conservation | Japanese Movie Poster Company
John Reid Vintage Movie Memorabilia | kinoart.net | Learn About Movie Posters | MEM | Memorabilia Mine | MovieArt.net
MovieArt GmbH | Montana Movie Posters | MotionPictureArt | Movie Collector's World | Movie Forum | Movie Forum Blog
Movie Forum YouTube | MoviePoster.com | MoviePosters.com | MoviePosterBid.com | Movie Poster Collector | Moviepostersdirect.co.uk
Moviepostersetc.com | Movie Poster Forum Blog | Movie Poster Forum Facebook | Movie Poster Forum Twitter | Movie Poster Collecting Blog
Movie Poster Service | Movie Poster Shop | Movie Poster Studio | Original Cinema Posters | The Nostalgia Factory | Picturetrader | Passini.com
Poster Appraisal.Com | Poster Conservation | Postericons.com | Posteropolis | Poster Science | Quadbod | Reel Movie Posters | Rue des Collectionneurs
Spotlight Displays | StarWarsMoviePoster.com | The Collectors Lot | things-and-other-stuff.com | Under The Floorboards
US Filmposters | Vintage Movie Art | Vintage Movie Posters | 1art1 Film Posters

Movie Posters Collectors, Movie Posters Fansite Links

Suitable4Framing | Wrong Side Of The River - A Rumble Fish Fan Site

Movie Poster Frames
Need a Movie Poster Frame? Spotlight Displays Movie Poster Frames
has the right Movie Poster Frame for you.

Movie Poster Display Cases

Movie Poster Guides and Resources

Free Movie Poster Price Guide Online by Jon Warren - IGuide™ is proud to host the online version of the Movie Poster Price Guide™.
The price guide is maintained by Jon R. Warren, whose Movie Poster Price Guide books have been helping movie poster collectors since 1985.
The searchable database consists of tens of thousands of detailed reports on movie posters for most movies distributed in the United States since 1900.
Each report includes current market values in ten different grades, as well as a section for "Real Market Data", actual prices fetched at auction.

Other Memorabilia and Movie Posters Links
Click Here for Star Wars Movie Prop Replicas, Statues, Collectible Pins and More! StarWarsShop.com - More Product. More Exclusives.
original movie posters | original film posters | uk quad posters | us one sheets

Original Movie Posters: Recommended Books
Amazon.co.uk: Now Playing: Original Movie Posters from the Silent Era to the 1940s

Fundraising, Charity & Memorials
British Heart Foundation - In memory of Oliver Neal

If you would like a charity link or a memorial page for a loved one here, free of charge, please let me know.

Movie Poster Forum Development, Design and Web Design by Shoot Design | Maintenance products