"Wishing you the best of luck with the Movie Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" Martin Scorsese 2009

Where are the collectors of Japanese Posters?

• You cannot reply to this topic
72 replies to this topic

#51 callahan

callahan

Quad

• MPF Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 7:44 PM

Anyone read Japanese? This is supposedly a poster from the 1940's... I thought I would check with the resident experts here.

Posted Image Posted Image

I think the first two characters say beautiful person (or beautiful woman in context). It's hard to make out the rest.
"Patience. The ability to endure waiting, delay, or provocation without becoming annoyed or upset, or to persevere calmly when faced with difficulties."

My Alamo Drafthouse
http://jasonbourne23.jalbum.net/my%20alamo%20drafthouse/

#52 Den_88

Den_88

One Sheet

• MPF Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 5:24 PM

I was wondering; are B2's still worth collecting or do people favour B1's? I was considering buying some B2's in hope to make a little profit.

Edited by Den_88, 06 July 2009 - 5:24 PM.

"Art would be useless if the world were perfect, as man wouldn't look for harmony but would simply live in it" - Andrei Tarkovsky

#53 Duncan

Duncan

Insert

• MPF Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 4:10 PM

Anyone read Japanese? This is supposedly a poster from the 1940's... I thought I would check with the resident experts here.

Posted Image Posted Image

As Callahan wrote, the first two characters mean beautiful ('reigin') and the second two 'Kohama' which is the lady's name, so, it says 'Beautiful Kohama'

Duncan

#54 Harry Caul

Harry Caul

One Sheet

• MPF Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Favourite Movie Poster: Avatar courtesy of http://skinnyships.com

Posted 13 October 2009 - 7:50 PM

Thanks for the help all. Unfortunately, the poster isn't for sale anymore :( I do have a line on a few more unknown posters though...

Anyone care to help? Titles, age, approximate values, etc....? Thanks!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#55 Posteroid Dot Com

Posteroid Dot Com

One Sheet

• MPF Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 9:43 AM

Second one is called TAIKOKI.
The third one is SHINSHO SHINOBI NO MONO.

Could not decipher the title on the first one. Need my kanji book for that (am at work at the moment).

Value: The third one might be of moderate value (I am guessing less than 200 US$) to collectors in Japan. It's a part of a series of ninja movies (shinobi is another word for ninja) and features a fomerly popular actor called Raizo Ichikawa who died in the late 60's while he was still quite young. Outside of Japan I don't think it is worth much, as there are not many collectors of posters for chambarra (swordfighting) movies.

Armin

#56 Harry Caul

Harry Caul

One Sheet

• MPF Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Favourite Movie Poster: Avatar courtesy of http://skinnyships.com

Posted 14 October 2009 - 3:49 PM

Thanks for your help Armin. I figured they were older (pre-70's at least) based on the composition and fonts and such, but that was about all I knew. I think the seller wants $125 for all three so I'll probably pass unless the first one turns out to be particularly valuable. They are great posters, but I'm trying to scale back purchases to stuff that I have some sort of connection with... or posters I can get a ridiculous deal on!

#57 nagamisan

nagamisan

Insert

• MPF Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 5:45 PM

Keen in Japanese posters especially looking for Anime posters such as Spirited Away, Ghost in a shell...etc
Currently looking for a Japanese version B1 for Amelie, Spirited Away, Kill Bill, Battle Royale but the price is hefty. :(
Hoping to get my 1st Japanese poster soon
Looking for Spirited Away, Amelie, Pulp Fiction & Inglourious Basterds

#58 boryokugai

boryokugai

Lobby Card

• MPF Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 8:30 AM

Keen in Japanese posters especially looking for Anime posters such as Spirited Away, Ghost in a shell...etc
Currently looking for a Japanese version B1 for Amelie, Spirited Away, Kill Bill, Battle Royale but the price is hefty. :(
Hoping to get my 1st Japanese poster soon

Hi guyz !

I just want to share with you the most crazy site ever for japanese movie posters fan .
Here it is : www.boryokugai.com

Enjoy !!!

Edited by boryokugai, 17 March 2010 - 8:31 AM.

#59 supereight

supereight

Insert

• MPF Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:25 PM

Have been told that if you go to Japan , you can pick them up Quite cheap !
Do not know so much on Japanese film posters ,

The Reel poster galley have alot at really nice big prices , worth checking just to see what there have !.

#60 kovacs01

kovacs01

Three Sheet

• MPF Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 7:58 AM

I live in Japan, and they are not cheap, but usually cheaper than you can get them elsewhere.
I'm your huckelberry..........
My Poster Gallery

2 movie poster forum members are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Movie Poster Forum Sponsors, Movie Posters for sale

Links - Movie Poster Forum Dealers, Movie Poster Sellers, Movie Posters Reference Links
Movie Poster Forum Dealers, Movie Poster Sellers, Movie Posters Reference website Links: If you would like a free reciprocal link below, please email admin@movieposterforum.com
If you would like to Advertise on The Movie Poster Forum, please click here

Movie Poster Dealers, Movie Poster Sellers and Movie Posters Reference Websites

AmovieMasterpiece | Bags Unlimited | Big Town Film Posters | Bloody Rare Posters | Bond Posters | CineMasterpieces
CK MacLeod Collectibles | Collectors Club of Great Britain | Conway's Vintage Treasures | eMoviePoster.com | europosterman.com
Egyptian Movie Posters | Filmcutts.com | Filmposter.net | Filmposters.com | Film Magazin | Flickfeast | FreeFilmPosters.com
Heritage Vintage Movie Posters | ilovefilms | IMP Awards | Jaime Mendez Restoration & Conservation | Japanese Movie Poster Company
John Reid Vintage Movie Memorabilia | kinoart.net | Learn About Movie Posters | MEM | Memorabilia Mine | MovieArt.net
MovieArt GmbH | Montana Movie Posters | MotionPictureArt | Movie Collector's World | Movie Forum | Movie Forum Blog
Movie Forum YouTube | MoviePoster.com | MoviePosters.com | MoviePosterBid.com | Movie Poster Collector | Moviepostersdirect.co.uk
Moviepostersetc.com | Movie Poster Forum Blog | Movie Poster Forum Facebook | Movie Poster Forum Twitter | Movie Poster Collecting Blog
Movie Poster Service | Movie Poster Shop | Movie Poster Studio | Original Cinema Posters | The Nostalgia Factory | Picturetrader | Passini.com
Poster Appraisal.Com | Poster Conservation | Postericons.com | Posteropolis | Poster Science | Quadbod | Reel Movie Posters | Rue des Collectionneurs
Spotlight Displays | StarWarsMoviePoster.com | The Collectors Lot | things-and-other-stuff.com | Under The Floorboards
US Filmposters | Vintage Movie Art | Vintage Movie Posters | 1art1 Film Posters

Movie Posters Collectors, Movie Posters Fansite Links

Suitable4Framing | Wrong Side Of The River - A Rumble Fish Fan Site

Movie Poster Frames
Need a Movie Poster Frame? Spotlight Displays Movie Poster Frames
has the right Movie Poster Frame for you.

Movie Poster Display Cases

Movie Poster Guides and Resources

Free Movie Poster Price Guide Online by Jon Warren - IGuide™ is proud to host the online version of the Movie Poster Price Guide™.
The price guide is maintained by Jon R. Warren, whose Movie Poster Price Guide books have been helping movie poster collectors since 1985.
The searchable database consists of tens of thousands of detailed reports on movie posters for most movies distributed in the United States since 1900.
Each report includes current market values in ten different grades, as well as a section for "Real Market Data", actual prices fetched at auction.

Other Memorabilia and Movie Posters Links
Click Here for Star Wars Movie Prop Replicas, Statues, Collectible Pins and More! StarWarsShop.com - More Product. More Exclusives.
original movie posters | original film posters | uk quad posters | us one sheets

Original Movie Posters: Recommended Books
Amazon.co.uk: Now Playing: Original Movie Posters from the Silent Era to the 1940s

Fundraising, Charity & Memorials
British Heart Foundation - In memory of Oliver Neal

If you would like a charity link or a memorial page for a loved one here, free of charge, please let me know.

Movie Poster Forum Development, Design and Web Design by Shoot Design | Maintenance products