"Wishing you the best of luck with the Movie Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" Martin Scorsese 2009

Yugoslav posters, advice needed

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 Den_88

Den_88

One Sheet

• MPF Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 7:28 PM

Hi, I am looking at buying some of my favourite titles from other European countries until I can afford to buy the American or British versions. I have noticed that Yugoslav posters are significantly cheaper and the artwork is generally the same as the US release. Is this due to the large numbers that where printed or because they are less popular?
I am mostly interested in 80's titles. There is no info on LAMP, but so far I have noticed that the sizes seem to range from:

18.5", 19", 19.5", 20" x 27", 27.5", 28"

I would also be hoping to re-sell them down the line if I needed to.
Is this a bad idea?

Cheers.

Edited by Browza, 06 September 2008 - 7:29 PM.

"Art would be useless if the world were perfect, as man wouldn't look for harmony but would simply live in it" - Andrei Tarkovsky

#2 Guest_Holiday_*

Guest_Holiday_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2008 - 5:23 AM

Hi, I am looking at buying some of my favourite titles from other European countries until I can afford to buy the American or British versions. I have noticed that Yugoslav posters are significantly cheaper and the artwork is generally the same as the US release. Is this due to the large numbers that where printed or because they are less popular?
I am mostly interested in 80's titles. There is no info on LAMP, but so far I have noticed that the sizes seem to range from:

18.5", 19", 19.5", 20" x 27", 27.5", 28"

I would also be hoping to re-sell them down the line if I needed to.
Is this a bad idea?

Cheers.

I think the resell them down the line part is a pipe dream because the Yugo posters basically have no value. That's why they're so cheap now. I have one, and it's for Kill Bill. That's it. To buy them for the art is fine if it pleases you personally. Me, I tend to find them too small, and the paper is cheaper.

My two cents, but if I were you, I'd save up the money and buy one good US release poster rather than five Yugo posters.

I don't know about the sizes, though. I'll have to defer to someone else on that.

#3 Guest_T_*

Guest_T_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2008 - 8:49 AM

Bad idea. Buy (by alphabetical order) Australian, British, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Thai... and stick to it. These are the few countries that have shown value over the years, mainly because their posters of American flicks were done by local artists. But to buy the same design from a different country is a waste of time and money. Most collectors are not interested by something that looks the same.

Thierry

#4 Erich Linder

Erich Linder

One Sheet

• MPF Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 2:47 PM

Bad idea. Buy (by alphabetical order) Australian, British, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, Thai...
Thierry

just like the alphabet... and sometimes Czech :-)

You're never going to make any money in Yugo posters. Ain't gonna happen.

If you don't have the money now but expect to have greater earnings in the future, I suppose they might be a good gateway for you. But later you'll look at them and say "What was I thinking?"

#5 Den_88

Den_88

One Sheet

• MPF Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 5:58 PM

I am glad I asked. My initial reason for looking at purchasing Yugoslav posters was due to them being largely similar to their US counterparts in design. As far as I am aware, local artists do not produce their own artwork (or do so very rarely), unlike Poland, Russia, Japan, etc. The option of re-selling was an afterthought, I suppose - but it does make complete sense that a collector would not be interested in a foreign poster unless it was unique.

I have studied Polish posters in the past on a previous graphics course and I adore the playfulness that they inject, but I am wondering if the newer posters are readily available from anywhere for a reasonable price, because I have only ever seen older posters for sale that already demand huge amounts?

Edited by Browza, 07 September 2008 - 6:04 PM.

"Art would be useless if the world were perfect, as man wouldn't look for harmony but would simply live in it" - Andrei Tarkovsky

#6 Guest_T_*

Guest_T_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2008 - 6:07 PM

Unfortunately, if what you're interested in are newer posters (let's say, the past 20 years), you're a little bit out of luck. Most local poster artists have disappeared and, I would say 90% of the time, foreign posters look exactly like their US counterpart. This is one of the saddest evolution of the hobby, the lack of variety. If modern foreign posters look somewhat different, it can also be because the foreign arm of the studios used the US intl. version of a given poster (which you didn't see at your local theater, but which exists and is more valuable than any other foreign representation).

Erich, yes, Czech, of course!

T.

Also, I forgot to mention, if the Yugo poster you're interested in looks different than the US poster of the same movie, then you potentially have something. Nothing against the former Yugoslavia, but their design tend to be identical to the US design. Now, if it's different and done locally, you've got a brand new ballgame.

Edited by T, 07 September 2008 - 6:10 PM.

#7 Den_88

Den_88

One Sheet

• MPF Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 6:14 PM

That's really sad to hear, and yes - 80's+90's are my main focus...

I will definitely keep my eye out for any fresh Yugoslav designs Thierry, I have actually saved a few images on my travels so that I can compare them. Thanks.

Edited by Browza, 07 September 2008 - 6:20 PM.

#8 Guest_T_*

Guest_T_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2008 - 6:24 PM

But there are still plenty of posters to collect :)

I think the 80s is a fascinating decade to collect. Lots of great pieces with beautiful designs. The deal is, if you do your homework, you should still be able to get some fancy 80s pieces at a reasonable price. As the population gets older, baby boomers and Gen Xers turn back to their youth with watering eyes and start collecting what meant something to them back then, as a way to stop time. So the 80s have now a tendency to become more expensive, and will continue so as time goes by. But it hasn't fully caught up yet. That's why there is still time for you to put together a nice collection at a good price and see it potentially increase in value.

T.

#9 tosenceto

tosenceto

Half Sheet

• MPF Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 2:41 AM

Design for this posters is great ex Yugoslavian movie art designer
Yes, artwork is generally the same as the US release
Only 2 or 3 collection left after the war in ex Yugoslavia
A small number of posters with the rest of the Cyrillic letter like this
http://www.moviepost...?...=si&img=126
Only in Macedonia and Serbia for ex Yugoslav republic printed posters with Cyrillic letter
Fact is this posters is was unique...and small price
If other collectors value yugoslav posters then their collection would be less
Look at these posters and the decision whether is a waste of time and money

www.posteryu.com

best regards
posteryu.comVisit My Website

#10 Guest_Ari_*

Guest_Ari_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2009 - 5:41 AM

buy what you like, pay what you want, and enjoy.

2 movie poster forum members are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

Movie Poster Forum Sponsors, Movie Posters for sale

Links - Movie Poster Forum Dealers, Movie Poster Sellers, Movie Posters Reference Links
Movie Poster Forum Dealers, Movie Poster Sellers, Movie Posters Reference website Links: If you would like a free reciprocal link below, please email admin@movieposterforum.com
If you would like to Advertise on The Movie Poster Forum, please click here

Movie Poster Dealers, Movie Poster Sellers and Movie Posters Reference Websites

AmovieMasterpiece | Bags Unlimited | Big Town Film Posters | Bloody Rare Posters | Bond Posters | CineMasterpieces
CK MacLeod Collectibles | Collectors Club of Great Britain | Conway's Vintage Treasures | eMoviePoster.com | europosterman.com
Egyptian Movie Posters | Filmcutts.com | Filmposter.net | Filmposters.com | Film Magazin | Flickfeast | FreeFilmPosters.com
Heritage Vintage Movie Posters | ilovefilms | IMP Awards | Jaime Mendez Restoration & Conservation | Japanese Movie Poster Company
John Reid Vintage Movie Memorabilia | kinoart.net | Learn About Movie Posters | MEM | Memorabilia Mine | MovieArt.net
MovieArt GmbH | Montana Movie Posters | MotionPictureArt | Movie Collector's World | Movie Forum | Movie Forum Blog
Movie Forum YouTube | MoviePoster.com | MoviePosters.com | MoviePosterBid.com | Movie Poster Collector | Moviepostersdirect.co.uk
Moviepostersetc.com | Movie Poster Forum Blog | Movie Poster Forum Facebook | Movie Poster Forum Twitter | Movie Poster Collecting Blog
Movie Poster Service | Movie Poster Shop | Movie Poster Studio | Original Cinema Posters | The Nostalgia Factory | Picturetrader | Passini.com
Poster Appraisal.Com | Poster Conservation | Postericons.com | Posteropolis | Poster Science | Quadbod | Reel Movie Posters | Rue des Collectionneurs
Spotlight Displays | StarWarsMoviePoster.com | The Collectors Lot | things-and-other-stuff.com | Under The Floorboards
US Filmposters | Vintage Movie Art | Vintage Movie Posters | 1art1 Film Posters

Movie Posters Collectors, Movie Posters Fansite Links

Suitable4Framing | Wrong Side Of The River - A Rumble Fish Fan Site

Movie Poster Frames
Need a Movie Poster Frame? Spotlight Displays Movie Poster Frames
has the right Movie Poster Frame for you.

Movie Poster Display Cases

Movie Poster Guides and Resources

Free Movie Poster Price Guide Online by Jon Warren - IGuide™ is proud to host the online version of the Movie Poster Price Guide™.
The price guide is maintained by Jon R. Warren, whose Movie Poster Price Guide books have been helping movie poster collectors since 1985.
The searchable database consists of tens of thousands of detailed reports on movie posters for most movies distributed in the United States since 1900.
Each report includes current market values in ten different grades, as well as a section for "Real Market Data", actual prices fetched at auction.

Other Memorabilia and Movie Posters Links
Click Here for Star Wars Movie Prop Replicas, Statues, Collectible Pins and More! StarWarsShop.com - More Product. More Exclusives.
original movie posters | original film posters | uk quad posters | us one sheets

Original Movie Posters: Recommended Books
Amazon.co.uk: Now Playing: Original Movie Posters from the Silent Era to the 1940s

Fundraising, Charity & Memorials
British Heart Foundation - In memory of Oliver Neal

If you would like a charity link or a memorial page for a loved one here, free of charge, please let me know.

Movie Poster Forum Development, Design and Web Design by Shoot Design | Maintenance products